Associate Professor & Director, Office of Student Research and Creative Activities
MS, Midwestern State University, 1994
PhD, Oklahoma State University, 2000
Office: 213H Science Bldg
- Heredity (BIOL 303)
- Special Problems (a.k.a. student research, BIOL 445)
My primary focus is population and evolutionary genetics. I'm interested in studying how populations differ genetically and why. I'm especially interested in understanding how the landscape affects gene flow across a species' geographical distribution. My students and I go on field trips to collect study specimens and then analyze their DNA in the lab using techniques such as DNA sequencing and DNA fingerprinting.
- Pfau RS, Sasse DB, Connior MB, Guenther IF. 2011. Occurrence of Blarina brevicauda in Arkansas and notes on the distribution of Blarina carolinensis and Cryptotis parva. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 65:61-66. [PDF]
- Thompson CW, Pfau RS, Choate JR, Genoways HH, Finck EJ. 2011. Identification and characterization of the contact zone between two species of Short-Tailed Shrew (Blarina) in Iowa and Missouri. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:278-288. [Journal]
- Lee DE, Pfau RS, Ammerman LK. 2010. Taxonomic status of the Davis Mountains Cottontail, Sylvilagus robustus, revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism. Journal of Mammalogy, 91:1473-1483. [Journal]
- Lack JB, Pfau RS, Wilson GM. 2010. Demographic history and incomplete lineage sorting obscure population genetic structure of the Texas Mouse (Peromyscus attwateri). Journal of Mammalogy 91:314-325. [Journal]
- Boyle TJ, Pfau RS, Keith DE. 2010. Occurrence, reproduction, and population genetics af the Estuarine Mud Crab, Rhithropanopeus harrisii (Gould) (Decapoda, Panopidae) in Texas Freshwater Reservoirs. Crustaceana 83:493-505. [Journal]
- Phillips CD, Henard CA, Pfau RS. 2007. AFLP and mtDNA analyses reveal patterns of divergence and hybridization in the cotton rat, Sigmodon hispidus. Journal of Mammalogy 88:351-359. [Journal]
- Pfau RS, Van Den Bussche RA, McBee K. 2001. Population genetics of the cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus): patterns of genetic diversity at the major histocompatibility complex. Molecular Ecology 10:1939-1945.
- Pfau RS, McBee K, Van Den Bussche RA. 2001. Genetic diversity of the major histocompatibility complex of cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) inhabiting an oil refinery complex. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 20:2224-2228.
- Pfau RS, Van Den Bussche RA, McBee K, Lochmiller RL. 1999. Allelic diversity at the Mhc-DQA locus in cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) and a comparison of DQA sequences within the family Muridae (Mammalia: Rodentia). Immunogenetics 49:886-893.
- Parmley D, Pfau RS. 1997. Amphibians and reptiles of the late Pleistocene Tonk Creek local fauna, Stonewall County Texas. Texas Journal of Science 49:151-158.
- Pfau RS. 1994. A late Pleistocene mammal fauna from Stonewall County, Texas. Texas Journal of Science 46:337-343.
- Pfau RS. 1994. First record of a native American elk from Texas. Texas Journal of Science 46:189-190.
- Stangl Jr FB, Pfau RS. 1994. Gross morphology and distribution patterns of lingual papillae in some geomyid and heteromyid rodents. Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Science 74:25-29.